Spokane Valley Fire Department units responded at 4:39 a.m. Jan. 4 to a residential structure fire at 302 N. Argonne Road.
Engine 1 arrived first on scene to a two-story residential home with smoke inside the interior of the home, and fire around the living room fireplace and inside the nearby walls.
Firefighters on Engine 1 backed up by Engine 2 firefighters pulled a fire hose through the front door for fire attack. Ladder 8 firefighters went to the roof to assess for any fire extension, and assisted in pulling the drywall around the fireplace to help find and extinguish fire inside the walls. The fire was contained to the living room area around the fireplace.
A resident of the home woke up to use the restroom and noticed smoke inside the home, as well as a glow coming from the walls around the fireplace which was being used as their primary source of home heat. The resident woke up the other occupants to evacuate while calling 9-1-1. Smoke detectors in the living room and kitchen area were missing or had the batteries removed, and smoke detectors in the bedrooms were inoperable or more than 10 years old and did not alarm.
Five adults, one child, and two dogs inside the home were displaced with Red Cross called to assist. No injuries were sustained by occupants or firefighters.
A total of nine fire department vehicles including command vehicles responded with 21 fire department personnel. A fire investigator also responded to verify the cause and origin of the fire.
Spokane Valley Fire Department would like to remind residents to never remove smoke detectors and to have smoke detectors replaced every 10 years. Smoke detector installation can be requested at no cost to residents of the Spokane Valley Fire Department by calling 928-1700 during normal business hours. Residents should also have their fireplace and chimney inspected and cleaned on a yearly basis before use for the year.