Spokane Valley Fire Department and Spokane County Fire District 8 units responded to a reported residential structure fire in the 300 block of North Molter Road shortly after 2:30 p.m. on Aug. 26.
The first SVFD unit on the scene observed smoke coming from the roof vents of the one-story home and upgraded the incident to a working fire, bringing more resources to the scene, said Melanie Rose, department spokeswoman.
Firefighters took an offensive approach to the fire, working inside the first floor and basement of the home as well as outside on the home’s roof to locate the source of the smoke and extinguish the smoldering fire.
One of the two residents was outside in the yard, smelled smoke and noticed smoke coming from the roof vents of the home. He quickly went inside to alert his wife and together they safely evacuated with their two dogs and called 9-1-1.
A total of 15 apparatus, command and support vehicles responded to the scene, including the Liberty Lake Police Department for traffic control. No injuries were reported.
The SVFD fire investigator on the scene determined the cause of the fire was an attic exhaust fan that dropped overheated parts onto the insulation which led to a smoldering fire. A damage estimate is not yet available.
Spokane Valley Fire Department would like to remind residents to quickly evacuate any structure when smoke or fire is present and call 9-1-1. Additionally, working smoke alarms save lives.