Spokane Valley Online
The Spokane Valley News Herald
City of Spokane Valley, WA
Valley firefighters extinguish dryer fire

01/20/2017

By MIKE HUFFMAN
Managing Editor

 

Spokane Valley Fire Department units responded to a reported structure fire in the 900 block of North Marcus Lane just before 12:15pm Tuesday.
Two residents were home at the time of the fire, said Melanie Rose, department spokesman. They were alerted by the smoke alarm and discovered the clothes dryer on fire with flames spreading up the walls of the laundry room. They safely escaped from the single story home with two small dogs.
Crews arriving on the scene noted smoke coming from the home and upgraded the incident to a working fire, bringing more firefighting resources to the scene. Crews quickly entered the laundry room, doused the fire and dragged the smoking dryer outside onto the driveway. Their quick action prevented the fire from spreading to the attic and other parts of the home, containing the fire damage to the laundry room.
A total of 12 apparatus and support vehicles responded to the scene, including a crew from Spokane County Fire District 8. The cause of the fire was determined to be a malfunctioning dryer with damage estimated at $10,000.
The Spokane Valley Fire Department would like to remind residents to routinely and thoroughly check clothes dryer ventilation systems to ensure they are clear of lint, animal nests and other hazards, Rose said.

Print Advertising - contact:
Steve Barge
Account executive - Spokane Valley News Herald
Cell: 509-230-3355
Office: 509-924-2440
e-mail: vnh@onemain.com
TheSpokane Valley News Herald
is the City of Spokane Valley, Washington's official Newspaper. The City Council of the City of Spokane Valley, Washington named the Spokane Valley News Herald as the city's "official" newspaper. The designation means the Spokane Valley News Herald will publish the city's legal notices on a contract basis for one year.

E-mail: vnh@onemain.com
Phone: (509) 924-2440