Spokane Valley Fire Department units responded to a reported residential structure fire in the14400block of East 23rd Avenue just before 7:30 am Dec. 30.
Crews arriving on the scene noted smoke coming from the attic and upgraded the incident to a working fire, bringing more firefighting resources to the scene, said Melanie Rose, department spokeswoman.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in the attic above the kitchen, limiting damage to the rest of the single story home.
The home owner was outside shoveling snow and returned inside to the smell of smoke. He noticed the canned light fixture above the kitchen sink was flickering and when he removed the lightbulb, smoke poured into the room. He called 9-1-1 and evacuated without injury.
A total of 15 apparatus and support vehicles responded to the scene, including crews from Spokane County Fire District 8. The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical with damage estimated at $17,000 to the residence and contents.
The Spokane Valley Fire Department would like to remind residents that, as the cold sets in, it’s a great time to check the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, and also ensure that your heat sources are in proper working order.