Spokane Valley Online
The Spokane Valley News Herald
City of Spokane Valley, WA
County celebrates completion of projects

10/07/2016

By MIKE HUFFMAN
Managing Editor

 

Spokane County celebrated the completion of the Hawthorne West road and stormwater project that borders Whitworth University on Wednesday with a ribbon-cutting ceremony. 

The $1.6-1.7 million project was made possible by grants from the Washington state Transportation Improvement Board and the state Department of Ecology.

The project was the result of a highly collaborative process between county departments, state agencies, higher education and private businesses.

More than half-mile of Hawthorne’s road surface was completely reconstructed and includes pedestrian safety and traffic calming features. Other improvements included removing/replacing failing stormwater structures and adding new facilities that provide stormwater treatment. These improvements were critical part of the project because Hawthorne West is situated over a highly susceptible area of the aquifer, the sole source of our drinking water.

Also the Argonne Road project from Maringo to Wellesley opened Thursday ahead of schedule.

The project included replacing aging asphalt and failing drywells, upgrading stormwater facilities and improved traffic signalization on Upriver Drive.

The total cost of the project was $1.22 million. Washington state Transportation Improvement Board dollars provided 60 percent of the funding. The other 40 percent was paid with Spokane County’s road and stormwater funds.

Print Advertising - contact:
Steve Barge
Account executive - Spokane Valley News Herald
Cell: 509-230-3355
Office: 509-924-2440
e-mail: vnh@onemain.com
TheSpokane Valley News Herald
is the City of Spokane Valley, Washington's official Newspaper. The City Council of the City of Spokane Valley, Washington named the Spokane Valley News Herald as the city's "official" newspaper. The designation means the Spokane Valley News Herald will publish the city's legal notices on a contract basis for one year.

E-mail: vnh@onemain.com
Phone: (509) 924-2440