By midweek, two out of the three positions up for grabs on the Spokane Valley City Council had contests looming for next fall.
While he has hinted at a return to politics for some time, former Mayor Tom Towey officially filed Monday to run against Arne Woodard, Spokane Valley’s current deputy mayor. Towey did not run for re-election in 2013, while Woodard is campaigning for a second term in office after his appointment in 2011.
Also seeing a challenge is Ben Wick, who is running for re-election. He will face Sam Wood, a real estate broker and appraiser who is currently on the city Planning Commission.
As of Wednesday, Mayor Dean Grafos had no challenger for his council spot. Under the Spokane Valley’s city manager form of government, council members appoint the mayor.
Also filing for office are:
- Liberty Lake – Steve Peterson (mayor), Robert Moore (Council Position 1), Dan Dunne (Position 2) and Shane Brickner (Position 5)
- Millwood – Andy Van Hees (Council Position 4) and Shaun Culler (Position 5).
- Rockford – Clifton Stevenon (Council Position 3), Micki Harnois (Council Position 4), and Robert Tollefson and William Benson (Position 5).
- Central Valley School District – Debra Long (Director District 3) and Keith Clark (District 4).
- Freeman School District – John Zingg (Director District 1) and Angela Keebler (District 5).
- West Valley School District – Dan Hansen (Director District 1).
- Spokane Valley Fire Department – Mike Pearson (Commissioner Position 1) and Joe Dawson (Position 4).
- Fire District 8 – Lee Boling (Commissioner Position 2) and Chuck Vyvyerberg (Position 3).
- Liberty Lake Sewer and Water District – Kattayam Natarajan (Commissioner Position 2).
- Fire District 9 – Michael Atwood (Commissioner Position 2).
Filing week ends today (Friday). For more information, visit spokanecounty.org/elections.