Although there was no meeting this week due to the Christmas holiday, the Spokane Valley City Council did confirm several committee and board assignments for various council members on Dec. 12.
Although it does seem that some council members – particularly Mayor Tom Towey – are taking on a larger load than others, the mayor said he made his decisions based on interest, expertise and the time available to commit to the assignments.
“Some council members have full-time jobs,” Towey said last week.
That being the case, the breakdown of appointments turned out like this:
- Mayor Tom Towey – Finance Committee, Governance Manual, Greater Spokane Inc., Spokane Regional Health District, Tourism Promotion and the Wastewater Policy.
- Deputy Mayor Gary Schimmels – Wastewater Policy, Solid Water Liaison, Solid Waste Advisory, Spokane Regional Transportation Council and Spokane Transit Authority.
- Council Member Ben Wick – Spokane River Total Maximum Daily Load and Governance Manual.
- Council Member Arne Woodard – Spokane Valley Chamber of Commerce, and Spokane Housing and Community Development Advisory Committee.
- Council Member Brenda Grassel – Convention and Visitors Bureau, International Trade Alliance and Lodging Tax Advisory Committee.
- Council Member Dean Grafos – Finance Committee and Growth Management.
- Council Member Chuck Hafner – Finance Committee, Emergency Communications/9-1-1, Growth Management, Spokane Regional Health District and Spokane Transit Authority.
Also, the City Council unanimously approved the appointment of Peggy Doering and Doug Kelley to the Lodging Tax Advisory Committee.
Both are already currently serving on the committee.